Dress Code Policy
Nobel Charter Middle School Dress Code Policy Spring 2023
The resulting changes are based on three key principles:
• All students are encouraged to dress in a manner that is comfortable and conducive to an active school day.
• Students should be able to wear clothing without fear of or actual unnecessary discipline or body shaming.
• The student dress code should serve to support all students to develop a body positive self-image.
1. No undergarments or genitalia should be visible (i.e. bra straps, boxers, etc.)
2. Shirts/Tops – All shirts must be long enough to cover the midriff
3. Pants – Must have no rips, holes, or tears above the knee. They must fit at the waist and be hemmed at the bottom. This is to eliminate sagging. They may be worn with or without a belt. If the belt is removed, the pants may not sag.
4. Skirts and Shorts – Jean shorts/skirts are also permissible. They must be of appropriate length. Shorts must be fitted at the waist and must be worn so as not to sag.
5. Headgear, earrings, and jewelry – Small earrings may be worn in the ears. Caps, beanies, visors, and soft-brimmed golf style hats should be solid green, white, gray, black (no logos) may be worn. Bandanas may not be worn on campus.
6. Clothing or insignias that are vulgar or profane, or that advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice or group affiliation of same, gang affiliation, or the use of weapons, tobacco, drugs or alcohol, are not permitted.
7. Shoes must be closed toe, with back or back strap, and no slippers are allowed.
Process to ensure compliance:
• Staff will monitor during passing time if possible, and as students enter class.
• Students out of compliance will be sent immediately to PE to change and return with item of clothing that is not appropriate.
• Staff not comfortable with enforcement may send student to counselor upon class entry. Please include sealed note that says “check dress code.”
• PE LOCKERS ARE ONLY OPEN FIRST 6 MINUTES SO THIS MUST BE CHECKED AND FOLLOWED THROUGH ON AS STUDENTS ENTER CLASS.
• This procedure may also take place during LAST 8 MINUTES of class, but should preferably be monitored upon entry.
• Teacher will send item with student name to counseling office until end of school for pick up and indicate child pick up (first offense) OR staff willing to hold item for after school pick up by student may do so. TEACHER WILL LOG IN MISIS.
• If student does not have PE clothes on campus, parent is contacted by counselor to inform that PE clothes are not at school and to offer the choice to bring appropriate clothing.
• If second+ offense, send student to change to PE clothes, and SEND ITEM TO COUNSELOR AND DOCUMENT IN MISIS. Include note to counselor with student name and how many times you are aware that this has happened. Further action based on number of times dress code violations have been logged in MISIS will be taken on case by case basis and handled by counselors.